Blog

6 Common Causes of Accidental House Fires and How to Prevent Them

For many homeowners, house fires can be the worst disaster imaginable. They are incredibly dangerous and destructive. Damages from a house fire can turn your life upside down. Many house fires can be avoided if the right steps are taken and you learn how to prevent them. Here are the most common causes of housefires. fire damage cleanup idaho falls

1. Cooking Accidents

It may come as no surprise that many house fires begin in the kitchen. Nearly half of all house fires are caused by a cooking accident. Food catching on fire or your oven not working properly are common causes of kitchen fires. When you are cooking, never leave your stove or oven unattended. Keep a kitchen fire extinguisher nearby. Remember that you cannot put grease fires out with water as this will cause the fire to rapidly spread.

2. Electric Malfunctions

Whether it is to turn on the lights, watch TV, or go online, electricity is constantly in use at home. But if something goes wrong with any of the electric wires in your walls and outlets, it can be a fire risk. You should regularly get your wiring professionally inspected to know what condition it is in and ensure it is safe. This is especially true if your house is older and your electricity was installed a long time ago.

3. Heaters

Heaters can be a big fire hazard, especially during the winter. Before you turn on your central heater for the first time in months, you should look at the filter, make sure it is clean, and replace it if needed. If you use any space heaters, always keep an eye on them. Do not leave them running when you are not in the room, whether they are gas or electric. 

4. Candles

People love to use candles in their homes to create a nice atmosphere and make their houses smell nice. But any kind of open flame can be dangerous. Never leave a candle lit when you’re not around. Ensure  the candle is in a location where it is not likely to be knocked over or fall on top of it and ignite. Always keep candles out of reach of children and pets.

5. Chimneys

Lighting fires in your fireplace can be a less expensive way to heat your home than using a heater. But before you light a fire, have your chimney inspected and cleaned to make sure there is nothing trapped in there that could catch on fire. Just like with any open flame, if you have a fire in your fireplace, do not leave it burning unattended.

6. Cigarettes

Lit cigarettes inside your house can be a huge fire hazard. One of the best ways to prevent cigarette fires is to not light them inside your home. But if you do, always make sure you put them out completely when you are done. Be careful not to fall asleep with a lit cigarette in your hand.

Fire Damage Cleanup—Idaho Falls, Idaho

House fires are devastating. If you experience a fire, let the professionals at Restore Rite help you with the cleanup. Our team of experts will help you make sure your home is safe and restored so you don’t have to worry.