Nothing can strike panic in a homeowner like the smell of smoke. Experiencing house fires can be devastating as they destroy everything you own. We have been taught since childhood not to play with fire because it can be incredibly dangerous and deadly. Here are some of the leading causes of house fires to watch out for so you, your family, and your home can remain safe and avoid having to go through the fire damage restoration process.
Over forty percent of house fires are caused by cooking-related accidents, according to the National Fire Protection Association. It is incredibly important not to leave a stove or oven unattended when cooking. If anything goes wrong while cooking, it is important that you are there to stop it from escalating beyond your control.
We may have been taught not to play with fire since childhood, but have your children been taught that, too? A child who finds matches or a lighter can be at an incredible risk of accidentally starting a fire. It is important to teach your children from an early age that fire should not be played with and is very dangerous.
Using too many electrical cords all at once can put your home at risk of an electrical fire. Electric outlets can only pull so many watts of electricity, so it is important not to overstuff all of your outlets with plugs and extension cords. It can also be helpful to have an electrician check your house’s wiring annually to ensure everything is working correctly so you do not have to worry about an unexpected electrical fire.
Many people love using scented candles to fill their homes with pleasant smells or as a natural light source. But it is important always to supervise an open flame when using a lit candle. By not paying attention at all times when a candle is lit in your home, you could be at risk of the flame catching on to something nearby.
Dryers can be a cause of house fires if they are not able to ventilate properly. Anything blocking a dryer’s vents can make it stop working properly and can mess with its heat, leading to a risk of starting a fire. It is important to frequently clean the lint filter while doing laundry, as lint is flammable.
A good furnace is a necessity during cold winter months. However, furnaces must be serviced regularly to ensure they are working correctly. If they are dirty or if one of its parts stops working properly, it can be at risk of smoking or catching on fire. Likewise, space heaters can also be a fire hazard, whether they run from electricity or fuel. It is always essential to make sure all things that create heat are functioning correctly at all times.
If you experience any fire damage in your home, be sure to contact a professional company to help you. If you live in Idaho Falls, call the professionals at Restore Rite. They can help you clean up and restore smoke and fire damage in your home.