Most people don’t think about the damage that can result from a fire until it happens to them. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to prevent fires from happening in your home, and minimize the damage if one does occur.
Preventing fire damage is easier than you think. By taking some preventative steps and being mindful, you can ensure that your home and family stay safe from fire damage.
Fireplaces are a great place for families to gather on cold winter days. However, if you don’t have your chimney cleaned regularly, it can be a potential fire hazard. The soot that builds up inside the chimney is flammable, and can ignite if it isn’t removed.
A good idea is to have your chimney cleaned by a professional in the fall each year. If you use your fireplace frequently throughout the winter, you may want to have it cleaned more than once. A lot of people have their chimneys inspected as well as cleaned. This allows any structural damage that might make your chimney unsafe to be addressed before using it again.
Electrical fires are extremely common and are one of the most frequent causes of home fires. Older homes often have wiring that doesn’t meet current standards, so electrical systems should be inspected during home renovations or when you buy an older home.
In order to prevent electrical fires, you should have a licensed electrician come out to your home to check your wiring on a seasonal basis. You should also regularly check your wiring to make sure it is properly connected and in good condition.
It is important to keep anything that could catch fire out of the immediate vicinity of your fireplace. Check the flue before installing a Christmas tree and toss small ornaments into a safe container away from the fireplace before lighting the fire.
Dryer fires are dangerous and more common than you think. They can easily be prevented by cleaning out your dryer vent at least once a year. If your dryer is taking longer than usual to dry clothes, clean it out as soon as possible. As a safety precaution, check all hoses and vents leading from the dryer to make sure they aren’t damaged or crushed.
Most of this damage is caused by lint buildup in the dryer or in the exhaust duct. The best way to remove this buildup is with a vacuum cleaner and an extension tool, but you might also need a brush or similar tool to get into hard-to-reach spots.
We at Restore Rite understand how important it is to get fire damage cleaned up as quickly as possible after an accident occurs, which is why we offer emergency services for all of our clients. If you need immediate assistance with any kind of fire restoration project, please do not hesitate to contact us today!